DVBIC Hosts Webinar to Discuss Hot TBI Topics
By Diana Moon, DCoE Public Affairs
November 20, 2012
The Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center (DVBIC) will host the first of four webinars in its winter webinar series: “Hot Topics in Traumatic Brain Injury.” The premiere webinar, "The Battle Within: TBI, PTSD and Violence Risk," is from 1 to 2:30 p.m. (EST) Nov. 28.
Graphic courtesy of Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center
Service members returning home with a traumatic brain injury (TBI) or posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) face numerous challenges — among them, dealing with emotional changes that may increase their risk for aggressive and violent behavior. Headaches, mood disorders, depression and cognitive problems can often be traced to the physiological changes that occur after a TBI and with PTSD.
In this webinar, DVBIC experts will focus on the relationship between service members with TBI and PTSD, and aggressive and violent behaviors. Case examples from clinical practice along with treatment recommendations and interventions will be discussed.
Participants can expect to learn to:
- Recognize the prevalence of post-combat service members’ involvement in the legal system
- Become aware of the behavioral impairments that are risk factors associated with aggressive and violent behavior following TBI
- Understand the role an increased activation of the limbic system plays in predisposing service members with PTSD to overreact in situations
- Identify the potential influence co-morbid factors have on aggression
- Cynthia Boyd, Ph.D., Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center, San Diego Naval Medical Center co-senior scientific director and clinical neuropsychologist
All participants are encouraged to join the webinar via Adobe Connect.
This webinar is approved for continuing education credits. For additional information on credits and to register for this free webinar, visit the DVBIC website.
The DVBIC 2013 webinar series continues in January with the following dates and topics:
- Jan. 16 — Alternate Approaches to Headache Management
- Feb. 20 — Advanced Imaging Techniques
- March 20 — Intimacy: Sex, Drugs and TBI
Traumatic Brain Injury